Thursday, 27 February 2014

DIY: Designers Sweatshirt


I don't do that much of DIY projects. The thing is if you work with a very creative designer (read HERE about my work), quite often you have to give her a hand with everything, including from actually creating a piece from scratch till adding finishing touches. So probably because I'm on a regular basis busy at work with production I don't have any wish nor power to do anything like this at home. However once in a while my creativity takes its revenge. And this is what comes out of it.


I was so smitten by the F/W 13 Christopher Kane's collection, especially by those fantastic embellished with flowers sweatshirts that I've made up my mind to do something like this on my own. In spite of that said I don't like copy-cating and I wanted to create a piece which differs from Kane's sweatshirts. I love the idea of feather flowers, but I've realized that it's quite close to impossible to make an embellishment from feathers of that exquisite quality at home. So I've decided to go for flowers not made of feathers but of different fabrics instead. I also didn't really like how condense are the flowers on the Kane's sweatshirt. If a super slim model Jourdan Dunn looks... how to put it...quite big in that sweatshirt, a normal person wearing a sweater like this will look huge. My solution was to cut on amount of flowers and make it more of a playful touch here and there than a flower field on a chest. 


What you need to recreate my sweatshirt is: 
*a plain sweatshirt of a colour you like;
* a bunch of different fabrics, I went for silk, tulle and organza;
*a few beads;
*scissors, needles and threads;
*patience;


What you do next: you start to cut flowers of a different size from the fabrics you have. I like the idea of my flowers being a bit clumsy, like a child has been busy cutting them. But if you prefer something more define, go for it. Put your flower application randomly on a sweatshirt. Do not sew it straight away to the sweater. Instead use some pins. You want to try on your sweatshirt with the flowers on and see whether some flowers need to be moved, replaced or taken off. 


After you secured your application with the pins on the right places and if you are 100% happy with how it looks, you can proceed with sewing. Sew the beads in the middle of the flowers to add a bit of sparkle and a finishing touch to your sweatshirt. 


And voilá your masterpiece is ready!

Follow me on:

35 comments:

  1. Wow, I looks great dear! Love it!!!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative cool diy you make it look so easy.
    http://tifi11.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been really so good! I dont think I am able to do the same! Also I am pretty lazy with DIY!:) Id love to wear the sweatshirt right now and Im curious to see it on you. The inspiration is nice too but you know, love yours much more!:) Kisses dear Alexandra xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Класс! Мне очень нравится) Самое главное, ничего сложного - все гениальное действительно просто)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so good! I like it a lot and I'm gonna try to do something similar.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Здорово получилось!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your jumper !! Great idea!!!!
    Irena
    kisses
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those runway looks are fantastic but I love how you made them into a reality! Love your awesome creation!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great idea! Thanks for the inspiration!

    Anja

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute inspiration and a lot of fun to create! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks really pretty! That collection was definitely one of my favourite from LFW, those feathered dresses were breathtaking! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. wonderful, love your diy flower sweater!
    happy weekend!

    <3
    http://www.getcarriedaway.net/

    ReplyDelete
  13. bravo!!!!!
    ur blog is really cool and unique!!
    would u like to follow each other?let me know
    kellystunnajr@blogspot.gr

    ReplyDelete
  14. nice job, Alexandra! I like the fact you have chosen a simple grey sweatshirt because that way the flowers are more visible and bright. oh and I love the lilac shades you've chosen! now I just want to see you rocking that sweatshirt in an outfit! ;)

    Maiken,
    Maikeni blogi - part of me

    ReplyDelete
  15. amazing blog,I'm new follower,hope you can follow me too xoxo

    http://shopaholicbyilda.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Супер! Честно, у меня даже зачесались руки что-то подобное сделать. Не так сложно, а результат интересный.

    mary-tur.ru

    ReplyDelete
  17. You should do it more often, it looks nice! Happy Maslenitsa! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not sure I could do it too, but you did a great job!
    Kisses
    Oriana

    www.stylexi.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. good job girl!
    Love it!
    xoxo
    http://www.milanotime.net

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are so brilliantly creative, love the final outcome of your pretty sweater, the flowers and colours are beautiful. . Have a relaxing and unwinding weekend hun!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing post as always! Your blog is a great place to get inspiration! Have a great weekend :-)



    http://anatkoren.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ух, великолепный джемпер! Отличная идея, мне безумно нравиться) Сашенька, очень здорово получилось)
    Хорошего дня!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love how you've taken inspiration from Christopher Kane and tried to customize your own wardrobe in the same style, so refreshing!

    Love Emma xx

    www.collagemepretty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  24. You did a great job! This looks really pretty!!!

    ♥ ♥ ♥ www.sugarpopfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great inspiration!!!!

    www.plogstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow very creative! Impressive :)

    http://golovelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. great project !!! it looks beautiful !
    xoxo

    www.mychoicebysorana.blogspot.ro

    ReplyDelete
  28. wow, you did an awesome job. I wish I could do that, too! And I really love the fact that the sweater is grey, because it makes the flowers stand out ;)

    xoxo

    http://thestylemaze.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. It turned out amazing. Great DIY project.
    Beautetude

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love this! I always look at the catwalk and think 'I could definitely make a go at DIY-ing that' but I'm always so lazy :L This seems reasonably easy though!

    rosekeats.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love DIY projects but I'm not able to realize them! You did a perfect job. This sweatshirt is lovely.
    xx

    www.myurbanmarket.net

    ReplyDelete
  32. woww amazing!

    http://blondieanchors.com/

    ReplyDelete
  33. ооу очень круто! отличный пост

    ReplyDelete