Thursday, 5 July 2012

Russians in Paris: Sergeenko's Haute Couture collection


Personally for me one of the most intriguing yet questionable shows at Haute Couture week was the show of my countrywoman Ulyana Sergeenko, a russiaphile, couture collector, since recently an IT girl and since even more recently a designer. Ulyana is widely known as a member of the Russian "Fantastic Four": Miroslava Duma, Elena Perminova, Vika Gazinskaya and herself.  The designer's show was scheduled after  Chanel and welcomed quite an outstanding for a fashion newcomer front row, Anna Dello Russo, Carine Roitfeld and of course Miroslava Duma to name a few. Sergeenko's collection was basically a reflection of her own style: full skirts, tucked in knits, fur, traditional Russian elements like floral shawls and an extensive amount of red colour. Even the stage was decorated in yet again typical Russian patterns. The tsarist and military themes dominating in the collection are in my opinion anything but novelty. However Sergeenko's collection managed to stand out thanks to its romanticism with a twist of nostalgia for the Russian imperial past, and the fabulous femininity of the looks.
Though the question is: will the collection that drastically based on the past find its place in the present?
________________
Лично для меня одним из наиболее интересных, но в то же время неоднозначных показов на неделе Высокой Моды стал показ моей соотечественницы Ульяны Сергеенко, коллекционера кутюр, с недавних пор IT girl и еще с более недавнего времени дизайнера. Ульяна широко известна как одна из четырех русских девушек (Мирослава Дума, Елена Перминова, Вика Газинская и сама Сергеенко), ставших безумно популярными по всему миру благодаря их неординарному чувству стиля. Показ дизайнера был запланирован после показа дома Chanel и ознаменовался довольно внушительной для новичка в мире Haute Couture публикой, в числе присутствующих были Anna Dello Russo, Carine Roitfeld и, конечно, русская фэшн элита. Коллекция стала отражением стиля самой Ульяны: пышные юбки в пол, тонкие шерстяные свитера, меха и вариация на тему русских традициональных элементов: цветастые платки, меховые шапки и ярко-красный цвет. Темы царской и военной России, доминирующие в коллекции, на мой взгляд, являются чем угодно, только не новизной. Известно уж слишком много интерпретаций образа княжны Анастасии и русской армии. Хотя коллекция Сергееноко сумела-таки выделиться и впечатлить зрителей благодаря романтичности с оттенком ностальгии по императорской России и сказочно женственными образами.
Вопрос, однако же, состоит в том, сумеет ли коллекция, навеянная прошлым, найти своё место в настоящем?

images from www.style.com

28 comments:

  1. Nice post !!

    Love the red jacket ! :)

    Love,

    Janice
    the-fashion-milkshake.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi dear! You know, I really love her and her style, I find very original and something new her collection. I liked how you talked about it but have ur same question!:) Great post! Kisses and have a great weekend!:*

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello! did you liked my blog???? follow each other???? let me know...
    great pictures by hte way!
    www.petitgraphie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That red coat is pretty fantastic. It all looks so chic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Een hele heavy collectie maar ik vind het wel erg mooi, heel mysterieus vind ik..

    LOVE BO,
    PurePreciousPerfection.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing these amazing pictures.....love your nice comment on my blog too!

    Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey sweetie, thanks so much for your kind and lovely comment, it made my day! I am thoroughly impressed by her design aesthetic, I can see the country's influence in these outfits, so bold, fashion forward and something new and exciting compared to what we are used to seeing during couture week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't even know what to say about this collection some pieces are amazing and I love the presentation but it's really different of what we used too.
    Thanks for your visit Alexandra I always love your comments.
    Xo
    Laia
    City-aholic.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice blog!

    http://mesmemos.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought it was interesting, but really not what I would consider my cup of tea I suppose

    ReplyDelete
  11. Потрясающая коллекция!!!! Очень понравилась и вся коллекция, и грандиозное место проведения дефиле, а саундтрек - это вообще что-то невероятное!!! Завершающий выход Водяновой под музыку из кф "Свой среди чужых, чужой среди своих" - мурашки по коже. Заслуженный триумф. Браво, Ульяна и вся её команда!!! Как бы не парадоксально это звучало, я считаю, что нарочито ретро коллекция Сергеенко - это свежая волна. А вот коллекция Chanel оказалась весьма предсказуемой, если не сказать скучной...

    http://charlottehouse22.blogspot.kr/

    ReplyDelete
  12. the collection definitely looks fierce in the photos but I can't really imagine who would wear it (or at least most of it) in the streets.. I myself would probably wear two pieces from here: the blue jacket from the last photo and that floral dress/jumpsuit. everything else is too much but this just me. I'm sure some people don't think that way :P

    Maiken,
    Maikeni blogi - part of me

    ReplyDelete
  13. love that green coat with the fur <3

    www.tainted-feathers.blogspot.co.uk

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. This collection definitely screams Russia with the fur all that fur!

    http://fashionroll.net

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE the colors, and I'd definitely wear some of them! But I think it depends on the context we'd be wearing them, so I guess it fits the current times perfectly! Thank you so much for your nice sweet comment and for the follow!!!! I’m following you back now on GFC :)
    If you're interested in following each other on bloglovin, if you do, let me know, so I can follow you back! it's really easier to keep in touch<3
    Have a nice day :)

    x♥x♥

    "Saúde & Beleza - Health & Beauty"



    ReplyDelete
  16. some really interesting pieces in that collection

    -Jessica
    http://runninginsideus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the red color, very interesting pieces but is too russian for me :P

    http://lavidadenicol.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post! Some pieces are definitely really unique, love the colors and textures :)

    xo
    - J
    http://www.jessglam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahhhmazing. SO creative and eclectic!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for taking the time to stop by today :) wishing you a wonderful and relaxing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i still remember the day karl lagerfeld designed for chanel paris moscow collection.its more to russian military then russian heritage.personally i think this is way more better than chanel

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing collection,nice blog, follow each other?
    http://shana-style.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I read about this designer, and the collection is fantastic! xx

    http://cinnamonspring.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh wow, a lot too hot! they are amazing!
    I like your blog, so I follow you now, follow back maybe? :)
    http://coldinvitation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. love everything!

    Visit my blog? xx Miss Beatrix (http://missbeatrix.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amazing collection and so representative for Russia !

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are right, it is drastically based on the past, but I do think that several items, fabrics and patterns fit within "now". I for example, LOVE the last look and would really like to have an outfit inspired by this look. The post makes me feel like visiting Russia Xoxo

    ReplyDelete